Sunday 1 March 2015

Bliss Balls - High Protein and Healthy

It's Saturday evening, wishing there was some rain and cold air and I could wear my bed socks and snuggled down under the duvet. Alas, it's still over 30 degrees C and it's midnight.  How does one sleep?

Ramblings in the wee hours - 

Do cows get bored?

What's my oldest recipe?

If I was having my last meal ever, what would I want it to be?

Why do people write blogs?

I can answer at least one of these. 

My blog allows me to store my recipes, share my favourite foods and write a little. But it is more than that! its a chance to reflect, to think aloud, to have a conversation with myself.

Did you know that I also have a blog called Walking My Feet Off?  My walking blog is my preparation for taking a long distance walk this year. It is keeping me on track, to make sure I do what I need to do in readiness. But now I have decided to join the two blogs together because time is precious and I can't maintain two blogs and I need to increase my walking time.

Be kind and be patient until I have sorted myself out!

You may find there are some good tips along the way. It may encourage you to walk more or it may deter you from ever taking a hike. Either way, when you tune in, you may get a recipe or some hiking gear. I have 6 months to get myself ready, so any encouragement will be appreciated. 

I will mark all of my walking posts with these in the title **!

But back to food! A healthy treat on a long hike? Absolutely!



HIGH PROTEIN HEALTHY BLISS BALLS

Ingredients


Makes 34 balls


250 g pitted dates
150 g sultanas
150g pitted prunes
60g raw cashew nuts
1 tablespoon chia seeds
2 heaped tablespoons cacao
1 scoop protein powder (I use a vegan one)
dessicated coconut


Using a blender or food processor blend cashew nuts until fine.
Place in a large bowl and set aside.
Process together prunes, sultanas, dates until well mixed and blended together.
Place the fruit into the bowl with the cashews. Add chia seeds, cacao, protein powder and mix either using your hands or a large spoon.

This is a messy process but I like to get my hands dirty.




Divide the mixture into bite size pieces about walnut sized and roll into a ball then set aside.




Take some baking paper and spread with coconut and roll each ball into the coconut until well coated. You can also roll some in cacao if you prefer.




Store in an air tight container in the fridge. Don't expect them to last too long. They are yummy and sticky and really, really, delicious.










No comments:

Post a Comment